Wednesday, November 24, 2010

you're ok....I'm ok....we're all ok....

After being in this great industry for a while, you get to see patterns emerge.
I believe we are hard wired, in this day and age, to feel that to take care of ourselves somehow constitutes selfishness or vanity.
Often the people who need some care the most, are the ones who are constantly caring for others.  They get so busy looking after others, they forget, or don't feel entitled, to lend a helping hand the one person they spend the most time with....themselves.
I love to see when I finally get these folks on my treatment table and for the first time in a long time, they stop.  They breath and they relax. 
That's not to say that they don't fight me the whole way mind you!
Gift Voucher are a great way to make this happen for someone like this.  Usually they won't spend money on themselves so a family member or friend must do it for them.
We are getting better at feeling OK about looking after ourselves, but there is still some ingrained resistance out there.
I liken it to our cars, our computers, our ipods, our brand new Gucci bag - generally, we're going to care for these things and if something goes wrong, we take it to be fixed right away.
I figure that we deserve the same care and consideration!!
It's OK to look after yourself so you can get the most out of life.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Annie! I intend to take your advice both to take care
    of myself and to facilitate time for other people to take care of themselves. It is wonderful, the work that you do!

    ReplyDelete